Classic/Antique Car Repair/RR Silver Shadow Brakes

I'm thinking of buying a Silver Shadow, I took a 1969 model for a test drive and noticed the brake pedal did nothing for about 2 inches then started to work basically with the pedal almost on the floor.  Or at least it seemed compared to a modern car.  I also did the pump test with the accessory power on but engine off and the left brake light only came on after about 55 pumps of the pedal so that seems ok.  Is the soft pedal normal with these cars or is there perhaps air in the system ?  This is the first time I drove one and I know it's brakes are a little different from any other car !

Hi Steve:
If the fluid levels are normal, I would perform one more test.
Take the car to an empty lot and while driving, turn the ignition off
then hit the brakes to see if you have any at all. If the pedal goes to
the floor, you need to have the accumulator rebuilt. If you still
have stopping power, they are OK. The low pedal may be a sign of needing
new brake pads and bleeding.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Vern Bullock

I can answer most questions about autos built in the 1920 through 1990. Mechanical issues and technical questions are my expertise. I also have a general knowledge of most older automobiles. Keep in mind, I can only provide answers if the questions are very specific and complete. Without details, I can only speculate and that's not good for solving your problem.

I have owned and maintained Silver Shadows for over 10 years now. I find most mechanics and even Rolls Royce mechanics have very little knowledge about these automobiles. I have researched these cars in quite a bit of detail and can pretty much tell you what is wrong, if you can describe the behavior in detail. I have saved quite a few RR owners a lot of money and aggravation due to improper diagnosis. I am the owner of Classy Transportation, LLC a luxury limousine service specializing in antique cars, classic cars, vintage cars and exotic cars.

All around the Internet

I hold a BS degree in computer science and a MS degree in mechanical engineering.

I regularly compete at car shows and average around a dozen awards annually.

See Web site at: