Classic/Antique Car Repair/RR Silver Shadow Brakes

Question
Vern,

I'm thinking of buying a Silver Shadow, I took a 1969 model for a test drive and noticed the brake pedal did nothing for about 2 inches then started to work basically with the pedal almost on the floor.  Or at least it seemed compared to a modern car.  I also did the pump test with the accessory power on but engine off and the left brake light only came on after about 55 pumps of the pedal so that seems ok.  Is the soft pedal normal with these cars or is there perhaps air in the system ?  This is the first time I drove one and I know it's brakes are a little different from any other car !

Thanks,

Steve.

Answer
Hi Steve:
If the fluid levels are normal, I would perform one more test.
Take the car to an empty lot and while driving, turn the ignition off
then hit the brakes to see if you have any at all. If the pedal goes to
the floor, you need to have the accumulator rebuilt. If you still
have stopping power, they are OK. The low pedal may be a sign of needing
new brake pads and bleeding.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Vern Bullock