Classic/Antique Car Repair/1948 dodge

Question
Hello I just bought (3 days ago) a 1948 dodge car I think its a deluxe but I'm not sure. It has a flat head six in it. Since i bought it, its been starting fine. Yesterday and today still, I go out to try to start it, but the starter just spins and makes a winding noise, what should I do to correct this problem? Thank you for your help

Answer
Sounds very much like the starter drive has failed. This can be replaced without replacing the entire starter. However the starter must be removed in order to replace the drive unit. But first check the battery making sure that it is fully charged and all the battery cables to make sure they are tight and clean.

I hit send too quick. Now is the starter turning the engine over and the engine will not fire or is the starter just making a whirring noise. If the starter is spinning the engine and it will not start then the problem is more likely in the fuel system or the ignition system. If the starter is not turning the engine but just making a whirring noise then the suspect is the starter drive.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears