Classic/Antique Car Repair/1961 impala

I have 1961 impala with a 2 speed powerglide trans.i can not figure out how to hook up the linkage to the trans.not really sure if i even have all the parts necessary.the trans was removed before i purchased the car.there is the rod coming down the firewall and a bracket attached to the end with some holes in it,thats it.looking for a diagram or something to help me out.thank you so much!

Hello Chad,

You indeed seem to be missing parts. Best way to fix is to get a 1961 Chevrolet Shop manual which has pictures and/or diagrams of the linkages. Then, check with a local transmission shop that has experience with this transmission for assistance as to where these components can be found. Alternatively, contact your local chapter of the Classic Chevrolet Club of America (CCCA) for help from a club member on this issue. Powerglides used to be very common so parts and expertise still exists.

Best of luck,

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Robert Russell

Mechanical, Body, Historical, MOPAR, GM, Ford, Packard, 1930-1975

Former Chrysler Tech., Project Manager for Antique and Classic Car Dealership. Owner/Driver of Classic Cars Since 1972

AACA, North GA Mopar Club, Packards International, W.P. Chrysler Club

High School Auto Shop plus Adult Night School

California Car Company, Roswell, GA