Classic/Antique Car Repair/1988 Buick Riviera

Question
I have a Silver Anniversary 1988 Buick Riviera.  The insurance company wants to total the car (and it is totaled) for a payment of 2800.00 to me. It is the other party's responsibility to pay the loss, but the insurance company wants documentation on the value. Since there were so few 1988 Buick Rivieras and fewer were Silver Anniversary Rivieras, I cannot get the information the insurance company requires.  

I am looking for your help to document value.  The car was in very good condition, and everything worked on it. It has 110,000 miles, and is the "T-Style", and since it is an Anniversary, I assume it had everything on it that was available.

Answer
The first place that I look when asked to give a value statement on cars of this vintage is the NADA (National Auto Dealers Assn)value guide. I did check on your car (http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1988/Buick/Riviera-T-Type/2-Door-Coupe/Va) and found that NADA claims that the car in very good condition could be worth in the range of $12,000! Next I would search the results of classic car auctions to see if any of these cars has crossed the auction block recently and for how much. However I would suggest going to the web address above and starting with that negotiat with the insurnace company. In the future I always recommend that folks get a stated value policy on thier old car. In that case ypour insurance company will pay and then they will fight with the other guys insurance.  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears