Classic/Antique Car Repair/dist.

how do you remove the dist. from a 1930 model a ford.

Loosen the lock nut on the side of the head behind the exhaust manifold, then loosen the screw.  This screw locks in the dist.  It should lift out then.  If it is stuck, then pry it up with a screwdriver.  They do break sometimes when they are really stuck.  Stay with it and use some liquid wrench around the bottom and pry it up.  Hope this helps.  jack
Now go buy the model a mechanics handbook by les Andrews.  We all have it and use it. Parts suppliers have it for about $35.  I also wrote a book called "get a horse". Snyders will offer it soon, but you can get it at Just search jack Bahm or the title. Jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.