Classic/Antique Car Repair/model A stater

Question
car has been running OK. I was cranking engine for a cold start and started stopped turning. The battery and connections check OK. Oil check Ok.  I could not move the engine with hand crank. I tried moving car in gear (brake released) but it would not move and engine still would not turn. Is it possible that the starter is jammed? Can it be unjammed without removing? any other ideas?

Thanks

Richard

Answer
Richard, just put the car in third and push hard backwards.  The pinion is just jammed in the ring gear.  Push hard.  To prevent this in the future, don't let up on the starter once you push on it until the engine starts.  If you hesitate and hit it a second time, it will jam.  Sorry I'm late getting back to you, but I was on the golf course.  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm