Classic/Antique Car Repair/model A stater

car has been running OK. I was cranking engine for a cold start and started stopped turning. The battery and connections check OK. Oil check Ok.  I could not move the engine with hand crank. I tried moving car in gear (brake released) but it would not move and engine still would not turn. Is it possible that the starter is jammed? Can it be unjammed without removing? any other ideas?

Richard, just put the car in third and push hard backwards.  The pinion is just jammed in the ring gear.  Push hard.  To prevent this in the future, don't let up on the starter once you push on it until the engine starts.  If you hesitate and hit it a second time, it will jam.  Sorry I'm late getting back to you, but I was on the golf course.  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.