Classic/Antique Car Repair/1929 Ford backfires, lacks power

I blew a head gasket on my 1929 Town Sedan. I had it replaced and now the car pops and backfires, particularily on shifting and lacks power. I can't get it above 45 mph. Any ideas on how to cure my issues? Are they related to the head gasket?

I don't think the head gasket is the problem.  Check the timing, point gap and the points.  Also make sure the plugs are not black and fuzzy.  Fouled.  There is the putside chance that it is a bad condenser, but I doubt it.  jack  Let me know what you find.  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.