Classic/Antique Car Repair/Crankshaft pulley replacement

Dear Mr. Sears, thank you for volunteering on this site!

My daughter has a Mercedes 2002 SLK 230 with about 100K on it.     Recently she had some problem steering it and was told by a mechanic (not at the Mercedes dealer but these people work predominanatly on Mercedes)  the belt was brokenů
After they replaced the belt on the console, they called her to tell her  they discovered the crankshaft pulley was also broken.    She was informed  it had to be replaced and that it would cost about $1,000.00 (part:$717 and labor $220).     Does that sound OK to you?!  

Thank you very much in advance!

Pablo Durissimo

This car is a bit newer that I usually answer technical questions about. I retired from the trade, tech school auto instructor, the year that this car was built. Now that said Mercedes parts are expensive so the price of the crank pulley would be more that say for a Ford or Chevrolet. According to my reference books a crank pulley for a 1988 Cadillac in 1988 would have cost $200, using that as a base $700 today for a crank pulley on a Benz sounds like it is about right. As to the possibility of the pulley being broken, this could have been the cause of the belt failure. The labor sounds about right for that job.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears

All automotive including antique and collectible. However if the car has been modified I can only answer in general terms and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Automotive tech instructor. Syndicated auto columnist 1970's though the early 1990's. Syndicated auto radio talk show, Ask Brad About cars, CBS Radio 70's through 90's TV Show "Last Chance Garage" 1980's PBS-TV syndicated. Auto instructor for the following companies: Fram Autolyte Holly Carter AMF Ford Motor University Of Conn Blue Hills Technical School Sugar River Technical Center Grew up in a family garage in Needham Mass and turned wrenches from the age of 14.

Manchester Union Leader, Nashua Telegraph, Motor Service Magazine, Yankee Magazine, Popular Mechanics (Saturday Mechanic early 80's), Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and lots more.

More than I care to remember. Basically Franklin Technical Institute in Boston, Northeastern University, Fitchburg State Teachers College, Tufts University, and a lot of factory schools along the way.

Moto Award winner. And much more.