Classic/Antique Car Repair/ballast resistor overheating on dodge ramÁharger

Thank you for your previous answers. The truck is getting fuel and sometimes it gets spark,sometimes it doesn't. It runs for 5-15 seconds then dies. Then it doesn't want to start at all. When there is spark present it will start,when there is no spark present it won't start. It's a on and off deal,very sporadic.

OK,now we are getting a base to work from. We know that the problem is ignition. I would start by connecting my voltmeter to the + side of the coil and reading the voltage there when cranking and the engine refusing to start. If there is 9 volts or better the problem is the coil or in the distributor. If the voltage is lower than 9 volts then the problem is in the feed to the coil. Use the voltmeter and back track up the circuit and measure the voltage getting to the resistor. If less than 9 volts or so the next step is the ignition switch. Now, in changing from the electronic to a point system how did he rewire the ignition switch system and how did he provide a starter by pass system. Let me know the voltage readings.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears

All automotive including antique and collectible. However if the car has been modified I can only answer in general terms and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Automotive tech instructor. Syndicated auto columnist 1970's though the early 1990's. Syndicated auto radio talk show, Ask Brad About cars, CBS Radio 70's through 90's TV Show "Last Chance Garage" 1980's PBS-TV syndicated. Auto instructor for the following companies: Fram Autolyte Holly Carter AMF Ford Motor University Of Conn Blue Hills Technical School Sugar River Technical Center Grew up in a family garage in Needham Mass and turned wrenches from the age of 14.

Manchester Union Leader, Nashua Telegraph, Motor Service Magazine, Yankee Magazine, Popular Mechanics (Saturday Mechanic early 80's), Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and lots more.

More than I care to remember. Basically Franklin Technical Institute in Boston, Northeastern University, Fitchburg State Teachers College, Tufts University, and a lot of factory schools along the way.

Moto Award winner. And much more.