Classic/Antique Car Repair/1952 Mercury Monterey

Question
Hello Brad,
My Friend has a 1952 Mercury Monterey V8 flathead with the  automatic transmission and we have looked all over( well obviously not all the right places ) and we can not find the dip stick for checking the transmission oil level, does it have one ? Can you tell us where we might be able to find the dip stick or how to check the oil level in the transmission ?  He just bought the car last month & would like to know .. We have even tried going on Google to find the answer & we have had no luck at all ..   Thank you for your time

Answer
Ah ha, you are caught in the game of hide the dip stick. Well this is easy. Pull the front right carpet up almost to the transmission hump. The dip stick for the tranny will be under a cover in the floor board. That is also the fill point. Warm the engine up and run it through the gears. Then put the transmission in neutral or park and check the fluid level with the engine running.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears