Classic/Antique Car Repair/'79 Silver Shadow parking brake will not release

The parking brake pedal is stuck in the engaged position.  I drove this newly purchased Rolls from Virginia to California arriving July 1st in CA.  It has been parked in my garage for the past week and I tried to drive it today,July 9 but could not get the parking brake pedal to release. Do you have any ideas I can try to get the brake to release. Thank you for any help.

Hi Steve:
These cars are known for the parking brake sticking.
This is primarily due to lack of use. The parking brake
is all mechanical.

Get a can of silicone spray and oil it very good.
Then try to release it. It should eventually come free.

Also, be aware the parking brake at the wheels themselves
may also be stuck even after the paddle itself is free.
The best way to check this is try moving
the car without accelerating to she if it will roll at all.

If not, the wheel brakes maybe stuck as well. Look for a wire
link running to the rear wheels and follow it to the parking
brake and spray these as well.

Finally, as a standard rule, I don't use the parking brakes on any
of my old cars because I don't drive them often enough to keep them
exercised the way they need to be.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Vern Bullock

I can answer most questions about autos built in the 1920 through 1990. Mechanical issues and technical questions are my expertise. I also have a general knowledge of most older automobiles. Keep in mind, I can only provide answers if the questions are very specific and complete. Without details, I can only speculate and that's not good for solving your problem.

I have owned and maintained Silver Shadows for over 10 years now. I find most mechanics and even Rolls Royce mechanics have very little knowledge about these automobiles. I have researched these cars in quite a bit of detail and can pretty much tell you what is wrong, if you can describe the behavior in detail. I have saved quite a few RR owners a lot of money and aggravation due to improper diagnosis. I am the owner of Classy Transportation, LLC a luxury limousine service specializing in antique cars, classic cars, vintage cars and exotic cars.

All around the Internet

I hold a BS degree in computer science and a MS degree in mechanical engineering.

I regularly compete at car shows and average around a dozen awards annually.

See Web site at: