Classic/Antique Car Repair/600W Oil

In one of the Model A catalogs, listed is 140 SAE Industrial gear lube. Is this product is the accepted oil for the old 600W oil in the transmission and steering?

I don't know. We all still use the 600wt we get from the catalogs. It probably is ok to use if a model a supplier is selling it for that purpose. I have heard of a heavy gear oil, but it was harder to get than the 600 wt.  I use stp in my strg gear. A little thicker and takes longer to leak out. Some people mix it with 600.
I don't think the A transmission cares what is in there, as long as the level is kept up.  Sorry I can't be of more help.  Be sure to drive your car a lot. That's the best thing you can do for it. Take it for coffee every day or so.  Jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.