Classic/Antique Car Repair/Generator repair

Question
Hi;
I have a 1930 Chrysler generator. I removed the fields because the wrapping was almost gone and the casing is rusty. The outside of the fields wire appears bare in spots. My question is can the fields be dipped or re-coated with something and then re-wrapped?
Also can I check the armature and fields with a multi meter?
New fields are available for model A generators. They appear to be the same size. I would rather repair mine if I could. I appreciate your help.
Gary

Answer
I use an electric motor repair company to do field repairs for me. I have tried dipping coils in varnish and other things but have not had success. A muli meter will only check for opens and shorts to ground on field coils and armatures. The armature needs to be tested with a tool called a growler that most of today's mechanics have never even seen let alone used. The resistances in the fields and armature are so close in tolerance that a multi meter will not work.  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears