Classic/Antique Car Repair/Thermostat in a Model A

Hello Jack, I've bought my Model A a few weeks ago. I heed your advice to drive the car every day. It's wonderful. But now it's already cold outside. Do you think it is reasonable to use a thermostat? Many thanks! Gernot

Be sure to go to this site and see all of my Model A how-to videos.
Or it might be easier to go to youtube, search for my channel and look at the playlist.

If you are going to drive it in weather below freezing, or around there, then a stat would be fine.  See my video on cooling system.  A lot of people add them to raise the pressure in their system to fix an overheating prob.  Keep in mind, that wherever you put it, it will end up against your radiator inlet.  The water flow puts it there.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.