Classic/Antique Car Repair/Upper distributor shaft bushing

Hello Jack, could you please tell me how often I should oil the upper distributor shaft bushing? Do you use engine oil? Thank you in advance. Regards Gernot

I don't know how you lube it unless you have the fix in place.  That oil cup on the side only lubes the lower bushing.  To lube the upper, you need to drill a hole down through the cam screw, then a hole down the upper dist. shaft, then cross drill a hole in the shaft, just above the upper bushing.  This will let you put oil, engine oil is fine, on top of the cam screw and it will run down the shaft and lube the bushing.  
Lube it often, the cam is always being pushed on by the point arm.  If the upper bushing is worn, the cam will wobble and your engine won't run smooth.  
You can buy the parts to do this from Snyders, page 154 for $10.50.
Good luck.  jack  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.