Classic/Antique Car Repair/Window glass

QUESTION: How do you remove drivers side door glass without removing the center plate? The right side was somewhat easy, the glass was in pieces. Now putting it back may be a problem.

ANSWER: On page 1-363, in the Model A Mechanics handbook by Andrews, it tells how to do it.  I hope you have this book.  We all have it and use it a lot.  Anyway, I'll give you the short version.  Detrim the door.  Remove the top door sill, 3 screws.
Roll the wdo all the way up.  Remove 3 or 4 screws that hold the reg in place.  Don't let things drop.  The glass channel must remain above the reg to allow removal.  After all screws have been removed, pull the reg into the door(under the glass channel).  The reg can then be lowered to the bottom of the door and removed through the opening in the door frame.  There is a cutaway notch in the channel that will let the reg arm slide out.  Take the glass out of the top of the door.  
I hope this helps, and I hope I got it all right.  
I am from Hammond and went to LSU.  Now I'm a yankee in Mich.  
Have fun with that car.

QUESTION: I have done as you say but still the glass slides in the felt rails with not enough of an opening from those rails to get the glass removed. I guess I could remove one of the rails to get enough room. I'll take your advice and get the book.
Thanks, WJ

I looked again at the book, and all it says is that the glass will slide out of the top of the door.  Maybe just loosen up the rails.  Wish I was near a sedan to look at it, but all I have is my roadster.  Sorry I can't help you.  If you still have trouble, I can ask my club members if they are familiar with the problem.  What body style is it?  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.