Classic/Antique Car Repair/Ford Model A head 1930

I just pulled my head from my 1930 Model A because it was cracked due to frost.

All replacement heads I see online as well as the gaskets are different than my head.

My head has the longer slots/water triangular ports on the exhaust side and it has the port in
between cylinder 2 and 3.

The heads I found online, almost all have the shorter triangular water slots on the exhaust side with the water port in between cylinders 2 and 3.

Or I also found a head with the long slots, but no port between cylinders 2 and 3.

Are these all interchangeable? What are the differences in compression ratio’s?
My engine block has the long ports matching my current head.

I would appreciate your feedback,

I am not familiar with the various heads that were used, but I'm sure Snyders knows which one will fit your car.  Call their help line:  330 549 5313
Really sorry I can't be of much help to you.  Good luck.  jack

Ian, I have been thinking of your problem.  I have never seen just the head break due to ice.  The block should go first.  Just above the starter there is a ledge that comes out above the starter, then there is the engine deck, then the head.  They usually split in the ledge area.  You need a mirror to see it, but you better check that out.  You may have a cracked block.
If Snyders can't help you, get back to me and we can do the picture drill and look harder for the answer on the heads.  jack  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.