Classic/Antique Car Repair/powerglide tran leaks

1957 belair w/powerglide transmission has been rebuilt and taken to 4 differnt shops 1 twice. when first starting out after won't shift, have to bring it up to shift speed, let off the gas and put into netural, then pull back into drive to get to shift. normally only have to do this once and then it will shift fine during the rest of the drive.
after the outting and putting it in the shop i have to place a pan under the transmission because after it sets usually for a few days or weeks it will leak out fluid depending how long it sets, may have to put 1-2 quarts in it before the next outing. the car is basiclly all stock w an original 283. it gets driven proablly around 1200 miles a year. any ideas??

I can't believe that the shops can't fix it. It is a very simple box.  You have to find the chevy club near you and ask them who knows how to fix it.  You have to find an old timer who knows.  It sure as hell should not leak.  I don't know anything about your chevy, but let me know if I can help.  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.