Classic/Antique Car Repair/vacuum system, carb initial needle settings

Question
Brad I have a 1946 f-1 pickup with the 100 hp flathead v-8 engine .   the carb on the truck is a 1 bbl and has a vacuum connection in the section below the carb and above the intake.  what is this part called and do they still make the connection for the distributor/windshiels wiper venture vacuum connection.  the one it came with looks like the threads and gaskets are missing and the previous owner wrapped electrical tape around the connection to keep the vacuum sealed. also what should I set the fuel/air screws in the back of the carb to get it started. thanks jdg

Answer
A flat head V 8 should have a two barrel carburetor on it as from the factory. I usually make the new fitting using brass connections that can be found in most hardware stores. This base connection is threaded into the intake manifold and fittings can be found that will screw into the manifold. If the threads are stripped in the manifold I susally drill and rethread the hole the net step oversive and then use a reducer bushing to get back to the right size fitting. The air fuel idle miture screws are lightly seated buy turning them in clockwise until they just seat and then turn them out 1 1/2 turns. That should get the engine started. Let the engine war, up and thyen working with one screw at a time, turn the screw out slowly until the engine speeds drops off. Then turn it the other was until the engine speed peaks and drops off slightly. Stop and turn the screw out 1/4 turn. Then work the other screw the same.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears