Classic/Antique Car Repair/transmission

can 1st gear in an original 3 speed transmission from a 38 chevy sedan be converted so you don't have to come to a complete stop to engage?  if not what transmission can be used with existing engine and drive shaft to accomplish this

Sorry for the delay, but I needed to do a little research on the aftermarket transmissions available. Sadly to say there is no available fix to add a syncromesh gear to your transmission. Also there is no transmission that I have been able to find with a syncro first gear that will drop into your car even with a bell housing adapter. The problem is with the drive shaft. You car uses a torque tube, enclosed, drive shaft and any transmission that might have syncro first gear was made for open drive shafts.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears

All automotive including antique and collectible. However if the car has been modified I can only answer in general terms and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Automotive tech instructor. Syndicated auto columnist 1970's though the early 1990's. Syndicated auto radio talk show, Ask Brad About cars, CBS Radio 70's through 90's TV Show "Last Chance Garage" 1980's PBS-TV syndicated. Auto instructor for the following companies: Fram Autolyte Holly Carter AMF Ford Motor University Of Conn Blue Hills Technical School Sugar River Technical Center Grew up in a family garage in Needham Mass and turned wrenches from the age of 14.

Manchester Union Leader, Nashua Telegraph, Motor Service Magazine, Yankee Magazine, Popular Mechanics (Saturday Mechanic early 80's), Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and lots more.

More than I care to remember. Basically Franklin Technical Institute in Boston, Northeastern University, Fitchburg State Teachers College, Tufts University, and a lot of factory schools along the way.

Moto Award winner. And much more.