Classic/Antique Car Repair/1950 engine swap in 1950 desoto

Question
I have a 1950 desoto woodie with I believe to be a 236 c i engine  it is the original engine with the fluid drive tranny since I am unable to to find some one to redo the engine for me my question is what would be the best and easiest engine to install in it  
         Thank you rich

Answer
Hello Richard,

Beautiful car!! I'd urge you to rebuild the original engine both for value and future preservation reasons. They're only original once!

Can't find a good rebuider? Contact your local chapter of the WPC (Walter P Chrysler) club. They'll know the best rebuilders and may even have members that do this kind of work.

But please, don't replace the engine with another unless it is a last resort. In specific answer to your question, assuming you have a six, a broad variety of MOPAR sixes from the mid-thirties on up to 1959 on cars and 1963 on trucks will fit. There are internal differences over the years that affect horsepower output and durability but externally, they're the same.  

Good luck,

Bob  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Robert Russell