Classic/Antique Car Repair/Buying my First Model A

Hi Jack-
In anticipation of my first model a purchase (40th birthday present) next spring I have been researching, reading and watching videos related to the model A.  I know very little about cars, but am always willing to learn and take on new challenges.  While a pretty vague question, what are some tips or resources I can use  to prepare myself to get the most for my money in my hunt for my car.  I have a budget of about 15-18k and really like the sedans vs the coupes, mostly so I can enjoy he car with my wife and two daughters.  Thanks and keep up the great videos!

Are you in for some fun.  $18,000 will buy you a great car.  Main advice is, don't buy the first one you see.  There are a lot out there.  Go to and search for "jackbahm" and look at my two books there on the A.  You can preview the whole book, so you don't have to buy them.  Also, go to and search for me and you will see all of my A videos.  Some will be of help to you.
this is the link to the Model A playlist of my A videos.  Enjoy.  
On your purchase, "they all look good from across the street".  A lot of people just do the cosmetics of the job, and not the mechanical part.  If you have to do the brakes, that is a big job.  If you have someone else do them it will cost you about $1,000.  Reach under and feel the main brake lever on the rear backing plate.  If it is loose, that means that the brakes have not been done and you will need to put  in new bushings, at least.  Parts are cheap, but a lot of work to put them in.  
Ask when the engine was done, the brakes, and the steering gear.
They should have a record of what was done on the car.  Keep in mind, that you may be able to get a good "driver", not a show car, for $10 to $15k.  They are out there.  The A is very unique and you have picked the right car to get.  Hope you can join a local club.  Lot more fun that way.  You will need a few books to show you how to fix it.  Good luck and get a good one.  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.