Classic/Antique Car Repair/Engine oil for a Model A

Question
Dear Mr. Bahm,

thank you very much for your great books and videos. I'm a Model A beginner from Germany. In a few days I will buy my first one. Could you please tell me if I should use a detergent or non-detergent engine oil? Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Gernot Oertel

Answer
That is the $64 dollar question.  People argue about this all the time.  It goes on and on.  My opinion is that the A does not care what you put in it as long as you change it every 500 miles.  I use shell rotella,  my engine seems to like it.  Don't worry about it.  Again, my opinion.  Put good 30wt oil in it.  Be sure you do not buy the first A you come to.  You can get a good driver for $8 to $10k, or a very nice one for up to $20, but unless it is an open car, $20k is too much.    Good to hear you like my books and videos.  They were fun to do.  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm