Classic/Antique Car Repair/Retirement

Hi Brad, You may remember me from Sun Electric/Bear Automotive. I was the technical trainer. It was interesting to see your website and that you attended Franklin Inst.Tech. Boston,MA. I have been here since January 2007 and will retire this semester. You should see this place now after a 1.5 million dollar overhaul of the automotive department thanks to Liberty Mutual Insurance Company. Just wondering what to do when I retire. Any advice?
Thanks, See ya,

I remember you and it has been a long time. Well I finished my working career at Sugar River Tech in Newport New Hampshire. Worked there until I was 70, ten years ago. I now live in Florida and hate golf, sitting around with other old guys and rotting away. Just over six years ago I built a small shop out back and started to play with old cars and my main business is rebuilding carburetors. Basically down draft stuff, lots of Holley's, QJets, and AFB;s now called Edelbrock's. At 80 or so have all that I want to do, make a good buck and enjoy what I am doing. I literally send my rebuilt stuff all over the world. The pre buy inspection stuff is good but not enough of it and it acts as a day off. Jump in the Benz, drive a few hours, do the job, have a good lunch, mop around antique shops and stuff on the way back home and get paid for it. So I do not know what to tell you about what to do in retirement because I have not retired yet. But I am my own boos, don't punch a clock, don't have to attend faculty meetings, don't have an administrator come into my class room or shop and try to tell me how to teach auto tech and no discipline problems. Stay in touch
Brad "Last Chance Garage" Sears

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears

All automotive including antique and collectible. However if the car has been modified I can only answer in general terms and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Automotive tech instructor. Syndicated auto columnist 1970's though the early 1990's. Syndicated auto radio talk show, Ask Brad About cars, CBS Radio 70's through 90's TV Show "Last Chance Garage" 1980's PBS-TV syndicated. Auto instructor for the following companies: Fram Autolyte Holly Carter AMF Ford Motor University Of Conn Blue Hills Technical School Sugar River Technical Center Grew up in a family garage in Needham Mass and turned wrenches from the age of 14.

Manchester Union Leader, Nashua Telegraph, Motor Service Magazine, Yankee Magazine, Popular Mechanics (Saturday Mechanic early 80's), Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and lots more.

More than I care to remember. Basically Franklin Technical Institute in Boston, Northeastern University, Fitchburg State Teachers College, Tufts University, and a lot of factory schools along the way.

Moto Award winner. And much more.