Classic/Antique Car Repair/Brakes not right

Question
Hi Brad-

I have a 1982 Chrysler convertible that I use as a summer cruiser. This spring when I got it out the brakes didn't feel right. They stop the car but it feels like you have to push the pedal all the way down, like there is nothing until the very end of the pedal travel. It will slow the car down and "lock" the brakes if I push super hard but there isn't much between this and just slowing the car down. I checked the wheels and the inside sidewalls are dry. I have had to fill one of the reservoirs (don't remember which one)on the master cylinder before putting it away for the winter but it didn't run dry.  The car has the 2.6 engine, auto transmission, and power brakes. Front disc/rear drums if that make a difference. I have driven it a few times this year around town but don't want to take it out on the highway at high speeds until I find out what is wrong.

Any ideas what to look at?

Thanks,
Jim

Answer
It could be a couple of things. First give the power brake booster a quick check. To do this hold your foot down on the brake pedal. While you are holding start the engine. As the booster feels the vacuum from the engine starting it will activate and the pedal will sink out from under your foot. If the booster works then it is in the hydraulic system. If the brake cylinder has never run out of fluid I would suspect a defective master cylinder. On a car that is stored all winter I would also pull the wheels and check for small leaks at the rear wheel cylinders and the front calipers. If everything looks good then bleed the brakes and see what happens. If the work good, fine but if not suspect the master cylinder.  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears