Classic/Antique Car Repair/Speedometer runs backwards

Jack -

I have 30' Mocel A coupe with original Riley OHVC. Car was recently rebuilt with S-10 5-Speed transmission, Open drive shaft but original banjo rear end. The Stewart Warner speedometer registered "0 mph" while driving and the odometer rolled backwards. Cable is disconnected until I find what is causing the problem and I thought you might know. Speedo cable is connected to rear differential pickup not the S-10 transmission. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
Jack -

Well, I don't know much about Model A's in that state, but if the thing is running in reverse, that can mean only one thing.  The cable is turning the wrong way.  Something needs to be reversed, or put on the other side of a gear, but somehow, you have to get the cable turning the right way.  I hope you find something that is reversible.  Maybe there is an adapter available that will reverse things.  Ask your suppliers of your new parts.  I bet this will not be a new problem to them.  Good luck.  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.