Classic/Antique Car Repair/1930 ford madel a speedometer

my speedometer spins very fast when driving . Where should I start looking to fix,

I am not sure what you mean  by spins very fast.  If it gives you a high reading, faster than you are going, then you have the wrong pinion at the transmission end of the cable.  Take it out and count the teeth.  Check the catalog, Snyders, to see if they have one with more teeth.

If it is trying to spin as you start rolling, then the magnet is rubbing on the indicator can.  That means you have to take the speedo apart and free it up.  Good luck,  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.