Classic/Antique Car Repair/1955 ford fairlane

Question
The car runs hot at low speed and or stopping at red lights. The car was restored about 5 years ago. The 272 cubic inch engine has always run a little hot. Freeway driving is just fine no problems temp is around 180-185. I added a after market a/c. The car has been changed to a 12volt system.

Answer
This sounds like a fan problem to me. When we added air to these cars back in the day we also added a high pitch heavy duty 5 or 6 bladed fan. If the car is equipped with a clutch fan that could be a problem as well. I have gotten into the habit of installing electric fans on these older cars equipped with A/C. I leave the belt driven fan on as well and set the thermostat on the electric fan at about 200 degrees F.Mount the electric fan in front of the A/C condenser to push air through the condenser.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears