Classic/Antique Car Repair/Radial tires on a Model A

Hello Jack, which tires do you recommend and what do you think of radial tires for a Model A. Many thanks. Greetings from Germany. Gernot

I just had big trouble with the low cost tires I got from Universal.  They were from Vietnam and the side walls were so weak I had a severe YAW problem in my heavy townsedan.  They may have been OK on a lighter car.
I ordered a set of Firestones from Universal, and that fixed it.  Just get a good set of Firestones and be done with it.  You will only get about 10-12,000 miles on them anyway.  
I don't know anything about radials.  I would not pay a high price just to get them.  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.