Classic/Antique Car Repair/1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper Model 2106

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. I am focused on the purchase of a 1947 Packard 2106 which is in beautiful condition- known professional grade ownership since 1968, frequent and recent AACA/CCCA caravan participant, terrific condition and caring maintenance. I will be having my mechanic perform a thorough inspection- he has extensive classic car experience including this make/model- but is there anything that comes to your mind that are typical problems?  Anything that is a chronic problem (similar to the vapor lock issue with the Lincoln vapor lock issue on the pre/post war V12's)?  I appreciate any thought or opinions. Thanks you, Mike.

Hello Mike,

I've checked the web and with several friends, one whom has a car exactly like yours. They report no problems ands no reservations. In fact, they're quite the opposite and welcome you to the fold. No offense intended if you like the bathtubs too, but many consider your car as the last of the "real" Packards.

One thing I do recommend, particularly if you plan to drive or tour your car, is to install an electric fuel pump, just for startup. You just might appreciate having one someday. They're small today and unobtrusive.  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Robert Russell

Mechanical, Body, Historical, MOPAR, GM, Ford, Packard, 1930-1975

Former Chrysler Tech., Project Manager for Antique and Classic Car Dealership. Owner/Driver of Classic Cars Since 1972

AACA, North GA Mopar Club, Packards International, W.P. Chrysler Club

High School Auto Shop plus Adult Night School

California Car Company, Roswell, GA