You are here:

Classic/Antique Car Repair/1958 ford light switch removal


Im trying to replace the light switch in my 1958 ford car. THERE,S NO BUTTON to push to release the knob and shaft ! With the knob on you cant remove the switch. Please what I forgot . Thanks, Dave

Hello Dave,

The button type of switch you're thinking about is GM-style. I believe Ford's have a small set screw on the knob that you loosen to remove the knob. Screw is quite small so you'll need a very fine, almost (but not quite) eyeglass-type screw driver to loosen. You probably know this but it doesn't hurt to remind, loosen just enough to pull the knob off the shaft, don't remove the screw completely as it is VERY easy to loose!

Hope this helps.

Good Luck


Classic/Antique Car Repair

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Russell


Mechanical, Body, Historical, MOPAR, GM, Ford, Packard, 1930-1975


Former Chrysler Tech., Project Manager for Antique and Classic Car Dealership. Owner/Driver of Classic Cars Since 1972

AACA, North GA Mopar Club, Packards International, W.P. Chrysler Club

High School Auto Shop plus Adult Night School

Past/Present Clients
California Car Company, Roswell, GA

©2017 All rights reserved.