Classic/Antique Car Repair/VIN CHECK ..IS THIS A SS 1974 NOVA?

Question
GOOD DAY TO YOU AND THANK YOU FOR READING THIS AND HOPE THAT YOU MAY BE ABLE TO HELP... I AM LOOKING TO BUY AND RESTORE A 74 NOVA THAT HAS SOME BUT NOT ALL OF THE SS BADGES ON IT...THE MOTOR IS NOT ORIGINAL. REPAINTED 20 YRS AGO..NOT BY PRO'S. VIN NUMBER IS 1Y27K4L193042...WHAT I HAVE FOUND IS THAT ITS A LN BODY STYLE? WHATS THAT MEAN? IT CAME WITH A 350 185 HP MOTOR. IS THIS AN SS OR A CLONE?   PS ITS NOT A HATCHBACK.    THANK YOU BEST REGARDS
RANDY

Answer
The best source of information on the car is the Body Data Plate that is located under the hood on the fire wall. With the information from that plate we can then tell if the car is a clone or not. The VIN only gives base information and is not complete. But the VIN decodes as this:
1= Chevrolet
Y=Nova
2&7=2 door sedan
K=350 4 brl V8 L48 engine
4=1974
l=Van Nuys California assembly plant. The trim plate will give the rest of the information. However with the L48 engine listed it is a good possibility that it could be a true SS.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears