Classic/Antique Car Repair/electrical

Question
I have a 1969 camaro with a 350 engine.350 turbo trans and a 373 posi. the thing is stock from the factory. The problem I am having is the distributer. The thing won't start. When I test the distributer the test light lights up and the dist. is grounded like it should  be. But when the ignition is turned on it kinda shorts and there is nothing therefore no spark. The  wires seem to be hooked up right but nothing happens. What should I try.
Thanks
Joe

Answer
This car is equipped with points and condenser ignition from the factory. When the points are open and the key is on there should be voltage, around 7 volts when measured with a voltmeter, on the + side of the coil. The voltage on the - side of the coil should be the same when the points are open and 0 on the negative side when the points are closed. If opening and closing the points does not change the voltage on the negative side there is either a problem with the coil, grounded or broken wire from the coil to the points or a defective set of points or condenser. Check that and get back to me.  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears