Classic/Antique Car Repair/59 FORD RETRACTABLE

i have a 59 ford retractable,the roof hangs up when retracting off of the windshield header. i noticed the threads on the roof jacks are different,how many threads should be showing,i assume they should be the same,i noticed when the roof sets down on the windshield header the screw jacks are hitting a 1-1/2 inch to the right and doen approx. 3/4 inch down from the centerline of the female jack threads. if i need to adjust the screw jacks can you advise me on the correct way to do this?

ANSWER: I have a question or two before diving into this question. First has the car been in a total restoration with the body off the frame? How long have you owned the car and has the top been a problem for a while? Has the car had any extensive body work? Let me know and we will go from there.

QUESTION: no i do not think my car had a body off restoration.there is some monor patch work on the doors and fenders. i have owned the car for about six months and the car came with the problem i mentioned above. i think the guy that ownedit before did some thinks right on the car but not so much on the roof work

These tops are a real bear to alighn. The main alighnment to get the top centered is the mounting for the two hinges at the back of the top. But before that is tackled the rubber body mounts between the chassis and the body should be checked. They can be worn and causing the body to sit a little unevenly on the chassis. That could twist it enought to cause the missalignment. If you are going to attept this project I would invest is a Ford Factory body manual. Not Motors, Chilton, or any of the other aftermarket manuals but a Factory manual.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears

All automotive including antique and collectible. However if the car has been modified I can only answer in general terms and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Automotive tech instructor. Syndicated auto columnist 1970's though the early 1990's. Syndicated auto radio talk show, Ask Brad About cars, CBS Radio 70's through 90's TV Show "Last Chance Garage" 1980's PBS-TV syndicated. Auto instructor for the following companies: Fram Autolyte Holly Carter AMF Ford Motor University Of Conn Blue Hills Technical School Sugar River Technical Center Grew up in a family garage in Needham Mass and turned wrenches from the age of 14.

Manchester Union Leader, Nashua Telegraph, Motor Service Magazine, Yankee Magazine, Popular Mechanics (Saturday Mechanic early 80's), Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and lots more.

More than I care to remember. Basically Franklin Technical Institute in Boston, Northeastern University, Fitchburg State Teachers College, Tufts University, and a lot of factory schools along the way.

Moto Award winner. And much more.