Classic/Antique Car Repair/Correct filling level for the 2 tooth steering box?

Hello Jack, I want to change the oil of the steering box. I think there's no drain plug. How do you do it? How can I find the correct filling level? Thank you in advance. Many greetings from Germany. Regards Gernot

We never change the oil, it always leaks out. If you have the new type with a seal, I'm sure the lube is ok and does not need to be changed. Fill it all the way up, or at least above the worm gear. If you had to drain it, you could loosen the bolts that holds the housing together and let it run out.  Messy.  The bolts are the 5/8 in. head.  You probably will have to readjust the gear if you loosen things up.  So don't do it unless you have to.   Jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.