Classic/Antique Car Repair/Correct filling level for the 2 tooth steering box?

Question
Hello Jack, I want to change the oil of the steering box. I think there's no drain plug. How do you do it? How can I find the correct filling level? Thank you in advance. Many greetings from Germany. Regards Gernot

Answer
We never change the oil, it always leaks out. If you have the new type with a seal, I'm sure the lube is ok and does not need to be changed. Fill it all the way up, or at least above the worm gear. If you had to drain it, you could loosen the bolts that holds the housing together and let it run out.  Messy.  The bolts are the 5/8 in. head.  You probably will have to readjust the gear if you loosen things up.  So don't do it unless you have to.   Jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm