Classic/Antique Car Repair/Modern style distributor plate

Hello Jack, I wish you a happy New Year. What do you think of a modern style distributor plate? Thank you in advance. Gernot

That's a tough question.  Some of our members love them, and others like the old style.  For some reason, some of us feel that some cars like the old style.  I think both are good.  Getting the condenser away from the manifold is good.  Adjusting the points is a little harder with the new.  When I rebuild a distributor, I just use what is there.  They both work well.
I think the difference we see from car to car is probably the upper bushing wear.  If that bushing is worn and lets the cam wobble, then you have to replace it.  The points put a side load on the cam and the lube of that bushing is questionable.  Go with the hole in the shaft and top cam screw, and keep it lubed.  
Hope this helps.  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.