Classic/Antique Car Repair/Modern style distributor plate

Question
Hello Jack, I wish you a happy New Year. What do you think of a modern style distributor plate? Thank you in advance. Gernot

Answer
That's a tough question.  Some of our members love them, and others like the old style.  For some reason, some of us feel that some cars like the old style.  I think both are good.  Getting the condenser away from the manifold is good.  Adjusting the points is a little harder with the new.  When I rebuild a distributor, I just use what is there.  They both work well.
I think the difference we see from car to car is probably the upper bushing wear.  If that bushing is worn and lets the cam wobble, then you have to replace it.  The points put a side load on the cam and the lube of that bushing is questionable.  Go with the hole in the shaft and top cam screw, and keep it lubed.  
Hope this helps.  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm