Classic/Antique Car Repair/1929 Erskine coupe

car has been completely restored but not driven. Started and  drove  it this week but steering was so tight I could hardly steer it.  Why is steering so tight, and how can I loosen it up a bit?

Hi Peter:
Not sure what you mean when you say too tight.
It depends on the steering box that was used.
If the car was restored to original specs, then
tight steering and turning is what they had in 1929.

My 1928 Essex has a 72 Vega steering box on it. The
only way to get better steering is by adjusting the steering box gears if
the box has an adjustment screw on it.

What type of steering box is on your car?

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Vern Bullock

I can answer most questions about autos built in the 1920 through 1990. Mechanical issues and technical questions are my expertise. I also have a general knowledge of most older automobiles. Keep in mind, I can only provide answers if the questions are very specific and complete. Without details, I can only speculate and that's not good for solving your problem.

I have owned and maintained Silver Shadows for over 10 years now. I find most mechanics and even Rolls Royce mechanics have very little knowledge about these automobiles. I have researched these cars in quite a bit of detail and can pretty much tell you what is wrong, if you can describe the behavior in detail. I have saved quite a few RR owners a lot of money and aggravation due to improper diagnosis. I am the owner of Classy Transportation, LLC a luxury limousine service specializing in antique cars, classic cars, vintage cars and exotic cars.

All around the Internet

I hold a BS degree in computer science and a MS degree in mechanical engineering.

I regularly compete at car shows and average around a dozen awards annually.

See Web site at: