Classic/Antique Car Repair/1986 Lincoln Continental Speedometer Issues

Hello Vern,

I own a 1986 Lincoln Continental 4-door sedan that I've had since 2007.  I've had to replace the ABS pump motor twice (and finding a replacement nowadays is nightmarish at best), and ripped out the air ride suspension in favor of shocks and springs which are a lot more reliable.  For the past several weeks, my digital speedometer would blink several times before finally working and I noticed a faint high pitch sound.  Now, the gas gauge, speedometer and odometer no longer light up.  Is this something that can be repaired affordably?  I really like the car, but a lot of the then "cutting edge" electronics make repairs difficult and expensive.  Seems as if parts are much more readily available for Cadillacs of the same era.  Thanks.

- Karl

Hello Karl,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Had an emergency with my elderly parents. From your description, it sounds like the electronics are failing on your instrument display and will have to be replaced or rebuilt. I have seen references to person(s)who can rebuild these displays but, since I primarily deal with much older cars, did not note the source.

Your best bet is to Google your local Lincoln Continental Owners Club. I believe that they have a section or even separate website dedicated to your car. What I do know is that your your problem is common among this era Lincolns. I also believe I've seen a recent article on your car in Hemmings Classic Car which also be helpful.

Best of luck,

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Robert Russell

Mechanical, Body, Historical, MOPAR, GM, Ford, Packard, 1930-1975

Former Chrysler Tech., Project Manager for Antique and Classic Car Dealership. Owner/Driver of Classic Cars Since 1972

AACA, North GA Mopar Club, Packards International, W.P. Chrysler Club

High School Auto Shop plus Adult Night School

California Car Company, Roswell, GA