Classic/Antique Car Repair/87 turbo ford thunderbird

This car sat for 13 years and then restoration started, rebuilt engine,clutch and interior. About 2 years ago I started to work on the air conditioner after that the problem started. To get the car to run I have to hit the key on 4 or 5 times when the car starts I must hold R.P.M about 3000 until engine is warm. At this point the car is somewhat drive able. I felt this was a fuel problem and checked pressure at about 300 lbs. I have rebuilt and tested all 4 injectors and looked at injector on time (15ms). I have replaced the oxygen sensor,atmospheric sensor, temperture sensor, heated oxygen sensor, speed sensor and replaced the intake manifold gasket. Timming and advance seem ok. KOEO test is 11 ok. I have changed the Mpu and problem remains unchanged. Please help!!

I am sorry for the delay getting back to you as I had some unexpected medical problem that landed me in the VA hospital for several days. But old guys problems aside lets get your problem resolved.  First off your reported fuel pressure bothers me. That 300 PSI sounds like you had the fuel gauge connected dead headed. The duel pump on fuel injected cars is a positive displacement pump and must never be operated deadheaded. The correct procedure is to used the fuel gauge port that is located on the fuel rail. It looks like a tire valve. Correct your pressure gauge to that port and the pressure should read between 50 and 60 pounds per square inch. If the pressure is high it indicates a defective pressure regulator valve or a clogged fuel return line to the fuel tank. These systems a re a closed loop system. If the pressure is high the engine will run rich and could cause the problems that you describe. CHECK THE FUEL PRESSURE AND GET BACK TO ME WITH THE READINGS.  

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears

All automotive including antique and collectible. However if the car has been modified I can only answer in general terms and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Automotive tech instructor. Syndicated auto columnist 1970's though the early 1990's. Syndicated auto radio talk show, Ask Brad About cars, CBS Radio 70's through 90's TV Show "Last Chance Garage" 1980's PBS-TV syndicated. Auto instructor for the following companies: Fram Autolyte Holly Carter AMF Ford Motor University Of Conn Blue Hills Technical School Sugar River Technical Center Grew up in a family garage in Needham Mass and turned wrenches from the age of 14.

Manchester Union Leader, Nashua Telegraph, Motor Service Magazine, Yankee Magazine, Popular Mechanics (Saturday Mechanic early 80's), Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and lots more.

More than I care to remember. Basically Franklin Technical Institute in Boston, Northeastern University, Fitchburg State Teachers College, Tufts University, and a lot of factory schools along the way.

Moto Award winner. And much more.