Classic/Antique Car Repair/Pilot shaft length -T-85 trans

Question
Brad

I enjoy your column immensely. I was told that there are three

different length of the pilot shafts on a T-85  transmissions.

Also on my 312 T-bird engine on the pulley damper the weight

collar has shifted back towards the motor on the crank shaft. I

pounded it back in place toward the pulley but whats to keep it

from moving again?

Answer
As to the transmission it would surprise me if there were only three different input shaft length as this transmission was used in a bunch of different applications. But I am not up on the actual measurement and specifications. Now to the harmonic balancer, the weight is held on to the Assembly by vulcanized rubber. Once it has broken loose and moved the assembly should be replaced as the timing mark is out of alignment and it will be out of balance.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears