Classic/Antique Car Repair/1921 PACKARD TRANSPORTING

Question
Brad Hi I need your help,  Im looking to transport my 1921 Packard Touring.  I was wondering what size enclosed trailer. Im lootking for the lighest  and smallest size that I can get.  Have you ever owened a enclosed trailer.  What information that you can share woud be appreciated.  Thank you Ken

Answer
Good question and there is no simple answer, and there is realty not a lightweight alternative, and I will explain that in a minute. I have towed hundreds of thousand miles with both open and closed car trailers. I currently own one of each. My closed trailer is classed as a 24 foot but that is deceptive. The 24 foot includes the hitch and the inside of the box is 19 foot six inches. Your Packard would be a very tight fit. First lets look at the Packard, it is a long heavy car. The wheelbase is 136 inches and it weights empty 4865 pounds Trailers are rated by GVW, or Gross Vehicle Weight.My 24 foot trailer is rated at max 7000 pounds, The trailer weighs empty at 2750 pounds so with the Packard on board it would be about 600 pounds overloaded. The ales are also rated for load carrying as are the tires. I would suggest at least D or E rated load capacity tires. As important as anything else is towed load rating of the truck. Remember that when the engineers figure the towed load rating that the brakes are taken into account. The truck may have plenty of poop to move the trailer along but are the brakes powerful enough to stop it. The bigger the truck the more powerful the brakes. The last thing is make sure that the hitch is the right class for the weight of the trailer and the load. I did most of my towing with either a one ton dually pick up or a diesel pusher motor home.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears