Classic/Antique Car Repair/1972 Chevrolet Camaro, 350

Question
I recently did a lot of suspension work on my car myself. I replaced bushings, control arms and shocks. It was running when I began the repair but it was up on a lift for 2 week's. I finished the front end but when I went to start it it had a hard time turning over. I got it home but haven't been able to get it started again. It will turn over once or twice but then stop. I tested the battery and it was bad so u replaced it but it is doing the exact same thing. A friend was under the hood and said there was a puff of smoke that came up from the right side of the engine. There is also s burning smell of plastic or rubber.

Answer
Even though the new battery is good, try jumping it
from another car to give you extra battery power. If
this works, you have bad starter bushings. When the starter
bushing are badly worn, they can not engage properly. Often
extra power will force the starter bushing to engage.

Also, check the connection to the starter to make sure it is
clean and tight as well and the connection to the battery.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Vern Bullock