Classic/Antique Car Repair/dead battery

I have a 1955 ford f100 with a 390/450hp engine. problem is that battery drains after driving one day. nothing is left on. it is a new red top optima battery. person I purchased truck from says that I need to keep a trickle charge on it. why?

Your charging system is not working.  Get it checked.  Trickle charges are not for everyday use.  That is crazy.  You probably need a new alternator.  Have Pep Boys or someone like that check it and you can put it on yourself.  Just unbolt and bolt the new one on.  
There is also the chance that the batt is bad.  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.