Classic/Antique Car Repair/Model A Modern Upper Distributor Plate

QUESTION: Hello Jack, would you recommend to install a modern upper distributor plate? Thank you in advance. Regards Gernot

ANSWER: Some like it and some don't.  I run both.  Let the engine tell you which one it likes best.  I know this sounds silly, but that happens.  Get it and try it out.  Points are a bit harder to deal with, but both are good.  jack

QUESTION: Hello Jack, my car runs great. Les Andrews writes in his book that the cam contact block on the original distributor plate often shows wear - so the points have to be readjusted every 100 miles. You drive a lot with your cars. Do you readjust your points so often?

I just put in new points today, turns out it was the condenser.  They were in there for 14,000 miles. You don't need. To adjust them any more often. If les is right, it would be hard to measure. Just be sure that upper bushing is not worn. Common problem.  Points always push against the cam in one direction. The upper bush. is not lubed. Jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.