Classic/Antique Car Repair/Touring engine

Hello Jack, my car has a stock Model A engine. Is it necessary for touring to have an engine with insert bearings, balanced crank, lightened flywheel? Do you recommend 3.27 ring and pinion or an overdrive? Thank you in advance. Regards Gernot

Keep that baby STOCK.  That other stuff is ok, but the A engine is tough and it will handle whatever you give it.  I would love to have all that, but I would not mess up a good engine to put it all in.  If the engine is down and you have extra cash, sure.  
A lot of clubs run overdrive, Ga., Fla., and Texas, but you do not want to drive your car over 50 MPH.  You hit a bump and it wants to change lanes. That suspension is not safe at high speeds.  
Do not kluge up your stock A.  
This is all just my opinion and I'm sure a ton of people will disagree with me.  jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.