Classic/Antique Car Repair/Electrical

Hi Jack

I have 1931 Model A coupe deluxe Canadian car. I'm having problems getting it started, I'm getting gas not sure of getting spark, I'm going to check now after reading and watching u tube and other bits of research, if no spark what's my next move ? or if spark ? my car turns over but no lights horn , only fuse I can find is on the starter, and it's ok. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jack

I hope you have a simple volt meter or a test light.  Just trace where the power is and where it goes.  If you have power at the fuse, both sides of it, then the coil, both sides with the key off then that would be a good start.  From what you say, you will find a problem there.  In case you have not seen my videos, here is the link to a few that might help.

If you can take your time and understand these videos, that thing should start.
Let me know if you need more help.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm

Only repair type questions on the 1928-1931 Ford Model A.

Owned one when I was 15 yrs old, and now have owned 5. Still own and play with 2 of them.

Oakleaf region of MARC. Model A Restorers Club. I have put several Model A videos on the Oakleaf site that may be of help. Things like how to start the A, how to Time it, how to troubleshoot it.. Go to and you will find them. Also, go to and search for "jackbahm" and you will find over a hundred videos. Many about the Model A and our outings. jack

"More than you need to know about cars." Just a small book for Car Nuts. "Model A Ford Tips and Hints" "Get A Horse" (What to do when Henry's Lady quits on you.) or Snyder's Antique Parts. "Engineering Stuff" (For the Kid who likes to take things apart and get them back together). Kids book for ages 10-16. 2012 Many Model A movies that can be found on

BSME LSU, 1958, Masters of automotive engineering from the Chrysler Institute of engineering, 1960, MBA Mich State, 1976. Worked as an engineer at Chrysler from 1958 to the end of 1991.

Two patents while working in auto industry. Go to this site for my Model A videos.