Classic/Antique Car Repair/Tight engine - starting problems

Question
Hello Jack, my Model A runs great like a sewing machine. But when I turn off the warm engine it doesn't restart because the starter is not turning the engine. I have to wait 5 minutes and it starts immediately. Do you have any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Answer
If it turns slowly and then comes to a stop, it is trying to fire before the piston reaches the top of it's stroke.  Need more retard.  Check your timing and make sure y0u always have the spark lever up to start.

If it won't turn over at all, and is not trying, it sounds like a bad connection at the ends of the batt. cables, or your engine is not grounded.  We run a ground strap between the trans and frame to be sure.  If it is trying to turn over the engine, keep the button down and try to see if anything gets hot.  That will lead you to the high resistance.  
Let me know.  
Could always be a bad starter.  Have another one you can borrow to check it out???
jack

Classic/Antique Car Repair

jack bahm