Classic/Antique Car Repair/56 tbird

Hi. Just new owner of 56 tbird 312 holley 4 barrel. Car was running ok. Has 2k miles. recent partial rebuid from someone. I noticed now after car warms up it starts to run like missing cylinder. when i pull  3rd wire on distrubtor( the  third cylinder) the car  doesnt change and no noise when i recoonect wire into distrutor cap. Do u think it is rotor cap, points and condenser. I pulled plugs and they are all the same black covered dust. engine bouncing really  alot at idle. your thoughts

The most likely thing that comes to mind is a defective power valve in the carburetor. This is a common problem with Holley carburetors. The black sooty powder on the plugs tells me the engine is running rich and a defective power valve will cause the engine to run rich. We are lot of this with these carburetors in the shop. I run a carburetor shop specializing in old cars here in Fort Myers Florida.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears

All automotive including antique and collectible. However if the car has been modified I can only answer in general terms and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Automotive tech instructor. Syndicated auto columnist 1970's though the early 1990's. Syndicated auto radio talk show, Ask Brad About cars, CBS Radio 70's through 90's TV Show "Last Chance Garage" 1980's PBS-TV syndicated. Auto instructor for the following companies: Fram Autolyte Holly Carter AMF Ford Motor University Of Conn Blue Hills Technical School Sugar River Technical Center Grew up in a family garage in Needham Mass and turned wrenches from the age of 14.

Manchester Union Leader, Nashua Telegraph, Motor Service Magazine, Yankee Magazine, Popular Mechanics (Saturday Mechanic early 80's), Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and lots more.

More than I care to remember. Basically Franklin Technical Institute in Boston, Northeastern University, Fitchburg State Teachers College, Tufts University, and a lot of factory schools along the way.

Moto Award winner. And much more.