Classic/Antique Car Repair/cleaning old gasoline from fuel system

Thanks for your help Vern... I have a 1934 Plymouth PE Deluxe... has been in dry storage for 5 years... need to clean out the fuel system... fuel pump to gas tank... is there any "cleanser" that i can or should use ?... any advice will be appreciated... Robert

When you said, "Dry Storage" do you mean there are fluids still in the cars?
If so, for how long? If there is gas in the tank that has been sitting for years,
the first thing is to remove and cleaning the gas tank before you even try to start her.

If "Dry Storage" mean, the car has been inside for years with all the fluids still in her (oil,
transmission fluid, anti-freeze, brake fluid and gas), all this will need to be dumped and replaced, if
it's been more than 3 years.

Acetone is a good cleaning solvent for flushing out fuel systems. Even after you start her up,
I would mix a quart of acetone with the first tank of gas to clean the pistons, plugs, and fuel line.

Give a a little more history of the car and the state it is in right now... Thanks.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Vern Bullock

I can answer most questions about autos built in the 1920 through 1990. Mechanical issues and technical questions are my expertise. I also have a general knowledge of most older automobiles. Keep in mind, I can only provide answers if the questions are very specific and complete. Without details, I can only speculate and that's not good for solving your problem.

I have owned and maintained Silver Shadows for over 10 years now. I find most mechanics and even Rolls Royce mechanics have very little knowledge about these automobiles. I have researched these cars in quite a bit of detail and can pretty much tell you what is wrong, if you can describe the behavior in detail. I have saved quite a few RR owners a lot of money and aggravation due to improper diagnosis. I am the owner of Classy Transportation, LLC a luxury limousine service specializing in antique cars, classic cars, vintage cars and exotic cars.

All around the Internet

I hold a BS degree in computer science and a MS degree in mechanical engineering.

I regularly compete at car shows and average around a dozen awards annually.

See Web site at: