Classic/Antique Car Repair/62 Comet Clutch

Hello, I stumbled on this site...I hope you are still available for questions. I saw you helped someone else with a clutch question. I just put a 200 six in my 62 Comet, replacing the 144. While the motor was out I went ahead and put all new clutch components in. When I went to test it (with the new motor in, using the original flywheel) the pedal went to the floor. It took adjusting the threaded rod all the way out to start engaging the clutch.....then because the fork had to travel so far, it reached  the end of its ability (or hit the opening in the side of the bell housing), thus never engaging the clutch enough to get out of gear.  What happened?  The part numbers were correct for the vehicle, and I'm 99% sure I assembled it correctly, disc in right direction. Seems like the throw out bearing just has to travel too far to engage. Bearing too short? Thanks, Chris

Engine swaps quite often have these types of problems. Sound like you are on the right track about the throw out bearing being a bit short. Might have to go to the parts store and check out the throw out bearing length for a 1966 or so Comet or Falcon with the 200 CID engine.

Classic/Antique Car Repair

Brad Sears

All automotive including antique and collectible. However if the car has been modified I can only answer in general terms and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Automotive tech instructor. Syndicated auto columnist 1970's though the early 1990's. Syndicated auto radio talk show, Ask Brad About cars, CBS Radio 70's through 90's TV Show "Last Chance Garage" 1980's PBS-TV syndicated. Auto instructor for the following companies: Fram Autolyte Holly Carter AMF Ford Motor University Of Conn Blue Hills Technical School Sugar River Technical Center Grew up in a family garage in Needham Mass and turned wrenches from the age of 14.

Manchester Union Leader, Nashua Telegraph, Motor Service Magazine, Yankee Magazine, Popular Mechanics (Saturday Mechanic early 80's), Los Angeles Times, New York Times, and lots more.

More than I care to remember. Basically Franklin Technical Institute in Boston, Northeastern University, Fitchburg State Teachers College, Tufts University, and a lot of factory schools along the way.

Moto Award winner. And much more.